Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Elkhart to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call BW/Cook Service Experts in Elkhart at 574-218-6404 to learn more.

BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning
25076 Leer Drive
Elkhart, Indiana 46514

Phone: 574-218-6404
Email: bwcook@serviceexperts.com
License# 7116944, 205