Spring is wonderful for many reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for crisp air and your energy bill is commonly at its lowest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heater or cooling.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Elkhart and keeping costs down.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and trim costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility charges less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a good time to upgrade it. The energy-saving technology in updated cooling systems is a big plus in keeping your energy expenses down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to expertly work your thermostat is the smartest way to lower energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think about it this way, the smaller the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the cheaper your home comfort cost will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty residence.
3. Try Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can take advantage of a couple other methods to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise in the summer, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny areas.
4. Think About Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and suddenly realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional ideas will all help keep summer energy costs economical. If you decide it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 574-218-6404 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the best product for your house. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.