How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of fumes that could be within your Elkhart house. Natural gas and vapors that come from household fixtures, carpet and paints. None of these fumes are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Call BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 574-218-6404 right away to begin protecting your residence against this harmful gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?

Carbon monoxide may be an emergency, so it’s not something to take lightly.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is life-threatening because you can’t observe it, smell it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in small doses and can’t be purified.

2. It Can Be Lethal Within Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a side effect of spent fuel. It can get into your residence during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace cracks. While it depends on how large the leak is and the ventilation in a house, it could become fatal in within minutes.

Once taken in, it has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are breathing pure air, you will need five hours to remove it from your system. It will take another five hours to reduce that amount by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Resemble Other Illnesses

It could also mimic symptoms that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.

How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several steps you can do to keep your house safe:

  1. Your house with at least one fuel-burning furnace, connected garage or fireplace needs to have a carbon monoxide system. You should have a sensor on every level of your residence, on top of the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of each bedroom. Don’t use a carbon monoxide alarm in your home?
    Call BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 574-218-6404 to purchase one. Ask our Experts about our reasonable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide systems.
  2. If you currently own a carbon monoxide detector, consistently look at or swap out the batteries. You should check batteries every 90 days, and get a new alarm every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide sensor goes off, get out of your residence right away and phone 911.

Protect Your Family with Support from BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the right precautions your family can be safe from the dangerous gas. Make the proper changes and call BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 574-218-6404 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.