Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being comfortable in your new area regardless of outdoor temperatures is important. However, they can present a unique situation for comfort. This is because installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the higher load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced solutions is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition could be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for additional rebates and lower your heating and cooling costs for years to come.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Since each room usually has a dedicated indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a space with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s smarter than extending ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is expensive. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the exact amount will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system could become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This may stress your system and make it wear down more quickly.
- Your comfort could decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort may suffer if your system has to cover a bigger space. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your electricity and gas costs may get more expensive as a result of the system needing to operate more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at BW/Cook Service Experts, we’ll help you select the right size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust BW/Cook Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, BW/Cook Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide support. Reach us at 574-218-6404 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.