Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There’s likely something wrong with your system. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues later. We’re going to help you find out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. A technician can help determine where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be due to a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your outside unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about common air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without looking at your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there’s something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s better to get problems fixed right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Tailored Temperature Control in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfy in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems supply a handy way to regulate the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or... Continue reading
Increase Your Comfort: Eight Home Heating and Cooling Upgrades
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Pick Out a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more essential than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility expenditures and all-around home efficiency. But, with so many system... Continue reading