When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At BW/Cook Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call BW/Cook Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Elkhart, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Elkhart or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 574-218-6404 or schedule an appointment with BW/Cook Service Experts through our online scheduler.