When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Elkhart, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Elkhart or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.