Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 574-218-6404 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.