One of the most routine issues that we come acress at BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Elkhart is dirty air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a variety of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to change your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you could encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the biggest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any likely damage that may come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give BW/Cook Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at or schedule an appointment online.