Preventing it from happening is the most important place to begin. Doing proper safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Elkhart.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when operated correctly but can create carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a pro. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are operating correctly, especially your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe operation by scheduling routine furnace maintenance with BW/Cook Service Experts.