Preventing it from happening is the most crucial place to start. Doing proper safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Elkhart.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Heat up your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills as heating sources. These items are safe when run right but can create carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it makes fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are operating accurately, particularly your heating system. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe heating by scheduling annual furnace maintenance with BW/Cook Service Experts.